Pages

Taste from Puerto Rico: Arroz Blanco, Pollo Guisado & Flan

This past weekend I decided to cook a Puerto Rican meal. The menu: pollo guisado (stewed chicken) with white rice. For dessert: flan. 

There was something special about that day, I was nostalgic. I was cooking, hubby was watching football, and little one was playing. The aroma of pollo guisado filled my kitchen and house. For a few minutes, I was transported into Mami's kitchen in Puerto Rico. I closed my eyes, and breathed in the delicious aroma of chicken, with sofrito, cilantro, and spices. It made my heart warm; and brought so many precious memories.

Growing up I loved going into Mami's cocina and lifting the lids off the pots to see what she was cooking. Or when she was sofriendo el sofrito (process of putting a little bit of oil in the pot, and putting sofrito on it to simmer) was the best part of coming home. I would peek in the cocina, and she'd say "Bendito mi'ja, ni siquiera he empezado a cocinar" (meaning that all she had in the pot was the sofrito which inundated the house with aromas of ajies dulces, onions, recao, cilantro, and pepper). 

I have so many fond memories of Mami cooking in the kitchen for her family, for her children. I look at my son, and hopefully, I will be the "planting the memory seed" of sights, tastes, textures, and aromas of his Mommy cooking. I want him to remember his Mommy's special dinner, or when he becomes an adult, he can say wow, that brought back memories of my Mom. I truly love cooking for my family, for my husband, and for our son. Especially when it's a recipe that I was brought up with. 

Now, speaking of recipes.  Of course, I don't have a recipe perse of my pollo guisado cause I kind of eye-ball everything. I learned to cook like that from Mami. Haha! But I did look on-line for some similar recipes and the closest one to how I made mine can be found here. Other similar recipes of pollo guisado can be found here, and here

My yummy pollo guisado in the pot. 

Served over rice....... simply delicioso! 

We can't forget dessert. I have become an expert in making this delicious flan.  It has become my go to dessert for events, parties and gatherings. It's so creamy, and delish topped with caramelized sugar....ahh, I tell you, take a bite and you're in heaven!  The original recipe can be found here


¡Buen provecho! Please comment, share and/or like! Love to hear what you have to say.