Pages

Easter "Cascarones" With a Twist

Cascarones (confetti-filled egg shells) are just that! Egg shells filled with confetti or other treats. This is a very popular tradition in Mexico. It is said that once an eggshell is broken on your head releasing the confetti it is considered to be good luck. The tradition also says that you gift the egg to someone and,  then you crush it over their heads.

Since we're hosting an Easter & Spring playdate at our local playground I thought it would be a great idea to give them "cascarones!"  Instead of making the traditional "cascarones" I decided to make Easter "cascarones" with a twist!

I decided to go with rice instead of confetti because of our playground playdate. We don't want to trash the park with tiny pieces of papers, and the birds can eat the rice. Totally safe since it was made with food coloring.**(Note: Please don't be alarmed that I may be killing the birds with rice! Yes, I heard about this myth, too; and that's not going to happen.  I did an on-line search, and most seem to agree that the above statement is a myth, and not true: myth debunked #1, and myth debunked #2 ). As for the crushed eggs, they will provide nutrients to the soil in the ground. 

To make the "cascarones" I used saved egg shells. To dye the egg shells I used: 1/2 cup of tap water, 1 tbs. of vinegar and 6-8 drops of food coloring. For the rice I used 1/2 cup of rice for each food color, and put them in a Ziploc bag. I added a few squirts of hand sanitizer, and then a few drops of food coloring. Placed on cookie sheet to dry. The idea to use hand sanitizer came from here.  

Little one had fun mixing, and filling up the egg shells. 

After the egg shells were filled with dyed rice I used small pieces of tissue paper to cover the holes. I wet the tissue paper in a mixture of water, and glue. 

We can't wait to use these "cascarones" in little one's play date! I will actually have my son crush the first egg over my head so the kids will know how to do it. :) 

What fun Easter crafts have you made? I would love to hear from you! Please comment, like, pin or share!

¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

This post has been shared at The Good Long Road's Kid's Co-Op, Learn with Play at Home's Tuesday Tots, TGIF Linky Party #67, and Iowa Farmer's Sunday Showcase.