Pages

A Letter to Our Son {Your First Day of Kindergarten}

Dear son:

My precious little angel you're embarking on a new adventure, and chartering on to unknown territory. You're scared, and nervous. Truth be told you're not looking forward to kindergarten. When you graduated from preschool we made a big deal about going to new school after summer.

For your birthday you received an Angry Bird sneaker, pencils, pencil pouch, wallet, shirt, and a cap as gifts. Most of these things you'll be using at your new school, and we even bought you a cool Angry Bird backpack to get you excited about school. You love Angry Birds! We've also been reading the bilingual mini-books about school to get you excited.




However, you were still not happy.  I continued to cheer you on, and talk to you about how much fun you were going to have in your new school.  Then you told me, "Mommy, I don't want to go to the new school. I want to go to my old school. I want to see my old teacher, and friends. In my new school I won't have any friends, and I'm going to be shy." 

My heart ached for you, as I too as a young child hated going to new school, and I was very shy too! It reminded me of a quote that gave me strength during my school years: "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, the other is gold."  I shared it with you, but still being too young you couldn't quite grasp the meaning behind the words gold and silver.  I told you not to worry that you will make new friends, and you will like your new teacher.  That you will always have your old friends, but they are in other schools. You were still not convinced. 

Then on your first day of school we walked to school. It was a very rainy, and windy day.  Once in the school I told you not to worry, and that you'd be fine.  You walked slowly,  trying to delay the inevitable, and stood outside the door of your classroom hesitant to go inside. I hugged you, you held my hand tight, and we walked into the classroom together.  I had a lump in my throat, and tears waiting to stream down my face. Nonetheless, I was smiling, and reassuring you that everything will be all right. That I couldn't wait to get out of work to come pick you up.   

You were such a brave little boy on your first day of school. You sat in your designated area, and waved good bye.  I walked away, making sure not to look back. 

I anxiously counted down the hours until I'd see you again. Much to my surprise, the first words that you told me were, "Mommy I had a great day, and I even made some new friends! But I don't know their names yet." My heart was now filled with joy, and happiness!  

We had both survived your first day of kindergarten! Can't wait to hear more of your wonderful stories! 

Te amo mi niƱo lindo, 

Mami 

How was your child's first day of school? Let me know in the comments below, and don't forget to pin, like or share! 

¡Hasta luego!