Pages

A Piñata in a Pine Tree: A Latino Twelve Days of Christmas


I can't begin to say how thrilled I was when I found this book! I bought it for my little boy when he was 4 yrs. old. It has become a Christmas favorite! This book gives a Latin twist to the traditional "12 Days of Christmas."   Can you imagine a "piñata" in a pine tree? It's a cross of two cultures beautifully intertwined with each other! 


I love that we can sing along to the tune of the ♫♫ 12 days of Christmas ♫♫ in both Spanish and English! My son loves to repeat Spanish words, and is looking forward to the next number or Spanish word as we sing. It's catchy, fun, and the illustrations are beautiful! 

What I especially enjoyed about this book as a mom who is teaching her son to read in Spanish is that in the back of the book they have the glossary with the words translated, and a pronunciation guide.  For example, "trompo" is a spinning top, "burritos bailando" are dancing donkeys, and "lunitas cantando" are singing moons. 

Every year right after Christmas we start reading this book as a countdown to Epiphany (falls on January 6, it is a Christian feast day that celebrates the revelation of God the Son as a human being in Jesus Christ.)  

Last year I read this book to little man and his friends in a Three Kings play date. He was able to share part of his culture and Christmas tradition with them.  


This year we'll be planning another play date, and more craft fun!